Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour and Candles.. Don't Mix

Wow… Today started out as such a great day. And then something set me right off!

I awoke the way a human was meant to wake up… by the warming rays of the early morning sunlight. Inspired by the day to come and maybe just the coffee I injected into my system I decided that a morning run was in order!

Anyone that knows me.. knows I am not a morning person. Mornings are meant for my parents. So anyway.. I run.. suck in lots of fresh air out in the glorious morning… almost 10 miles done.. 1.5 hours down and it is now noon. After some recovery I see a new follower on twitter.. Some person who aspires to be green. Great I think!

So I read his page.. Candle Light Vigil on parliament hill tonight to celebrate Earth Day or Earth hour.. or what ever these posers want to call it. Now you are probably thinking that this is an awesome idea.. but stop and take a breath.

Does burning .. I repeat .. Burning .. a candle to celebrate the fact that you turned out your lights really make sense? Candles give off pollutants.. In fact I would suspect that in Canada burning a candle gives of way more pollutants than my 15 watt CFL. Factor in that a percentage of that power is created though truly green initiatives like hydro dams, wind power and solar power.. I would suspect way less!

Anyway this is a pretty lame post but it really threw me for a loop that a person who claims to be an active environmentalist would suggest and promote such a ridiculous idea that will probably do more harm than good!

For those that really want to be green, don’t be a poser and celebrate earth hour. The hydro plants have a surplus of electricity at night anyway.. Do some real good and reduce your foot print on the world EVERY DAY. Recycle more, produce less garbage, drive less, plant a tree…. Don’t burn a candle!

You are probably asking what am I doing today.. Well.. I did not turn on my hot water tank last night.. The weather is at a point where my solar hot water system is self-sustainable and produces enough hot water for me without the need for electricity. I cooked 8 chicken breasts at once last night and froze them.. saving roughly 3 hours of oven operation… I won’t light my scented candles! lol

If you want the research.. Someone did it for me! You should read this..

Earth Hour, candles and carbon

No comments: