Friday, March 6, 2009

Runners are from outer space

“The thing about running for enjoyment is that it can't be explained by those who get it”

There are many reasons to run and people often look at me like I am from outer space when I tell them “I run for the enjoyment of running”. It is becoming increasingly apparent that you have to be a runner to understand the phenomena.

Wow, did I just classify myself as a runner? Eek.

So the question people can’t seem to understand the answers to

1) It clears the mind. It can almost be classed as spiritual! Stressed out, can’t get your most recent fight off my mind… strap on a pair of shoes, wire up your ipod and your fav tunes and head out for a short run. You may be shocked to find that you are 4 miles down the road with a clear mind before you realize it.. Good luck getting back J

2) The high. Yes behind all aches, pains and stiffness there is an endorphin release that your mind is telling your body.. Fight though this.. I like it! Maybe it is the fact that your mind is now clear (see #1).

3) The confidence. Every time you run, you complete something. As long as you set realistic goals you can push yourself to meet them. Job well done. Some days you will push though the wall and break your goals (and thus setting new ones!). Excellent. Some weeks you may do this 5 times!

This usually translates into real world success too, at least for me. I am far more confident today about everything I do, the way I look, how I interact with people than I was 2 years ago. Hey even when you fail, you still completed a run, which is more than the average person can say! There is always a start and an end to every run!

A tip for someone out of shape thinking it would be demoralizing to be seen running. I was 275 lbs when I started running.. Could not run a mile without stopping… was embarrassed how I must look to an observer.. but the cars honking for encouragement, people waving and the neighbors that comment on how awesome it is that you are doing it.. was wonderful! Not a single person ever put me down.. and a year later I am almost 50 lbs lighter and able to run 10 miles with 5 miles being an easy/average run.

4) A more positive outlook on things.. See #3. How can you not be more positive?

5) The ability to converse with other runners on running subjects that is almost like an exclusive club at first but as you run more, more closet runners come out of the wood work and before you know it you have a whole new click of good friends.. It helps (I find at least) that most runners are not judgmental. It does not matter if you run a 7 min mile or a 13 min mile.. You ran a mile and you get to talk about all these great facts!! Get to share tips, experiences and so on. It is all fun.

There are lots more reasons and I could probably go on and on about what I get out of lacing up a pair of shoes but I won’t. I am sure that it is different for each person so if you want to figure out your reasons throw out the excuses, strap on those shoes, and just do it.

I do often wonder how it must be to have completed a marathon? If you can run 26 miles and push though the pain and exhaustion you must have the mental capability to push though almost anything life throws your way.

“If you want to run, run a mile. If you want to experience a different life, run a marathon." – Emil Zatopek, Olympic Gold Medalist.. With credit to Michelle who sent that to me.. and she would know completing the ING Ottawa Marathon in 2008.

No comments: